#1 Desert Edge Hosts #5 Shadow Ridge Friday In Goodyear
Originally published: Sep 18, 2013 - 12:00 am
It's a battle of Division III unbeatens on Friday night in the west valley, as top-ranked Desert Edge (Goodyear) hosts fifth-ranked Shadow Ridge (Surprise).
The Scorpions (4-0) are coming off an impressive 55-21 win over Sabino in Tucson last Friday. Anthony Hernandez had a huge night for DE, throwing for 475 yards and six touchdowns. With back-to-back 400-yard games, the 5-foot-8 senior QB has now thrown for 1,413 yards with 17 touchdowns and just two interceptions in four games this season. He also has two TD's on the ground.
Desert Edge wide receiver Elijah Marks has been Hernandez' go-to man as the senior has posted 35 catches for 773 yards and eight touchdowns so far this year. He is averaging over 22 yards per catch.
The Scorpions, ranked seventh overall in the state by Maxpreps, are averaging over 44 points per game in wins over South Mountain, Liberty, Prescott and Sabino. A win Friday could pave the way for DE's first ever undefeated season as the road gets much easier for the Scorpions after this week. Desert Edge's final five opponents are a combined 7-and-8 with 13th-ranked Buckeye (3-0) having three of those wins.
Shadow Ridge (3-0), which is 27th overall in the state, is off to its best start in its brief four-year history of varsity football. The Stallions have knocked off Deer Valley, Sunrise Mountain and Cactus in their first three games.
Chris Salsberry ran for 222 yards and a TD and also threw an 88-yard touchdown pass in the Stallion's 27-24 win at Cactus last Friday. The senior has rushed for 574 yards and seven scores this year.
The Scorpions have dominated the series so far by winning all three meetings, including a 49-9 rout of the Stallions in the first round of the playoffs last year. Kickoff Friday is at 7pm.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.