Westwood TOC VB, Ojo Rojo XC highlight Sept. 20-21 events
Originally published: Sep 16, 2013 - 12:00 am
This week is a crazy-busy one for girls volleyball -- power-point matches Monday through Thursday -- capped off by one of the major in-state tournaments of the season Friday (Sept. 20) and Saturday Sept. 21) with the annual Westwood Tournament of Champions. The tourney features 37 teams, including many of the state's elite. Matches are contested both days at Westwood, Mesa High, Skyline and Red Mountain high schools. The gold division final is set for late Saturday afternoon at Westwood.
Competing schools -- Basha, Campo Verde, Canyon Del Oro, Centennial, Chaparral, Cibola, Corona del Sol, Deer Valley, Desert Mountain, Desert Ridge, Desert Vista,
Dobson, Florence, Gilbert, Hamilton, Highland, Ironwood, Ironwood Ridge, Liberty, Marcos de Niza, McClintock, Mesa, Mountain Pointe, Mountain Ridge, Mesa Mountain View, North,
Perry, Pinnacle, Queen Creek, Red Mountain, Saguaro, Salpointe Catholic, Skyline, Sunnyslope, Thatcher, Thunderbird, Westwood.
There are nine pools of four teams each with play beginning Friday at noon at all four sites. Cross-pool play starts Saturday morning at 9 and runs through early afternoon (approximately 1 p.m.). From there final bracket play begins for four divisions.
Not in this year's field are defending Division I state champ and defending tournament champ Horizon and Xavier Prep. Both accepted invitiations to the Durango Fall Classic at Durango High in Las Vegas, Nev.
A quality local meet -- the annual Ojo Rojo Invite - involving 40 schools, takes place Saturday (Sept. 21) at Tumbleweed Park in Chandler. Race times are 8:20 a.m. (freshman boys); 8:21 a.m (freshman girls); 9 a.m. (varsity girls); 9:35 a.m. (varsity boys); 10:10 a.m. (junior varsity boys) and 10:11 a.m. (junior varsity girls).
Competing schools -- Alhambra, Basha, Brophy, Buena, Centennial, Chandler, Corona del Sol, Desert Vista, Dobson, Gilbert, Highland, Horizon, Mesquite, Millennium, Mountain Pointe, Mesa Mtn. View, North Canyon, Pinnacle, Red Mountain, Rincon, Sandra Day O'Connor, Westwood, Goldwater, Camelback, Campo Verde, Casa Grande, Desert View, La Joya, McCintock, Queen Creek, Shadow Mountain, Tolleson, Williams Fied, Seton, Sierra Linda, St. Mary's and Wickenburg. Defending teams champs are Corona del Sol boys and Mesa Mountain View girls.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.