Westwood TOC VB, Ojo Rojo XC highlight Sept. 20-21 events
Originally published: Sep 16, 2013 - 12:00 am
This week is a crazy-busy one for girls volleyball -- power-point matches Monday through Thursday -- capped off by one of the major in-state tournaments of the season Friday (Sept. 20) and Saturday Sept. 21) with the annual Westwood Tournament of Champions. The tourney features 37 teams, including many of the state's elite. Matches are contested both days at Westwood, Mesa High, Skyline and Red Mountain high schools. The gold division final is set for late Saturday afternoon at Westwood.
Competing schools -- Basha, Campo Verde, Canyon Del Oro, Centennial, Chaparral, Cibola, Corona del Sol, Deer Valley, Desert Mountain, Desert Ridge, Desert Vista,
Dobson, Florence, Gilbert, Hamilton, Highland, Ironwood, Ironwood Ridge, Liberty, Marcos de Niza, McClintock, Mesa, Mountain Pointe, Mountain Ridge, Mesa Mountain View, North,
Perry, Pinnacle, Queen Creek, Red Mountain, Saguaro, Salpointe Catholic, Skyline, Sunnyslope, Thatcher, Thunderbird, Westwood.
There are nine pools of four teams each with play beginning Friday at noon at all four sites. Cross-pool play starts Saturday morning at 9 and runs through early afternoon (approximately 1 p.m.). From there final bracket play begins for four divisions.
Not in this year's field are defending Division I state champ and defending tournament champ Horizon and Xavier Prep. Both accepted invitiations to the Durango Fall Classic at Durango High in Las Vegas, Nev.
A quality local meet -- the annual Ojo Rojo Invite - involving 40 schools, takes place Saturday (Sept. 21) at Tumbleweed Park in Chandler. Race times are 8:20 a.m. (freshman boys); 8:21 a.m (freshman girls); 9 a.m. (varsity girls); 9:35 a.m. (varsity boys); 10:10 a.m. (junior varsity boys) and 10:11 a.m. (junior varsity girls).
Competing schools -- Alhambra, Basha, Brophy, Buena, Centennial, Chandler, Corona del Sol, Desert Vista, Dobson, Gilbert, Highland, Horizon, Mesquite, Millennium, Mountain Pointe, Mesa Mtn. View, North Canyon, Pinnacle, Red Mountain, Rincon, Sandra Day O'Connor, Westwood, Goldwater, Camelback, Campo Verde, Casa Grande, Desert View, La Joya, McCintock, Queen Creek, Shadow Mountain, Tolleson, Williams Fied, Seton, Sierra Linda, St. Mary's and Wickenburg. Defending teams champs are Corona del Sol boys and Mesa Mountain View girls.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.