New to 11-man, Joy Christian faces test in Ariz. Lutheran
Originally published: Sep 12, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Part II of this week’s split football schedule will be played on Friday night (Sept. 13), and here’s a look at a handful of the top games . . .
Glendale Joy Christian (2-0) at Phoenix Arizona Lutheran (2-0) – Joy has taken care of Scottsdale Prep and Tucson Pusch Ridge Christian in its first two forays into 11-man football, but this will be the first test against a legitimate Division V contender. Arizona Lutheran defeated Phoenix Scottsdale Christian and Chandler Valley Christian in its first two games.
Surprise Shadow Ridge (2-0) at Glendale Cactus (2-0) – With wins over Glendale Deer Valley and Peoria Sunrise Mountain in its first two games, Shadow Ridge has emerged as one of the pleasant surprises. Cactus hopes to contend for the Division III title, and wants to put another victory notch in its belt.
Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain (2-0) at Scottsdale Saguaro (1-1) – Wins over Glendale Apollo and Lake Havasu were important for Bradshaw Mountain, but a road win over one of the top teams in Division III would vault the Bears to another level. After a tough loss to rival Scottsdale Chaparral to begin the season, Saguaro rebounded with a big win over Phoenix South Mountain. The Sabercats’ Luke Rubenzer is one of the state’s more versatile quarterbacks.
Phoenix St. Mary’s (1-1) at Tolleson (2-0) – It has been a long time since Tolleson has won its first three games of the season, and doing so here against one of the more storied programs in the state would be a confidence-builder, even though St. Mary’s has fallen on hard times.
Phoenix Valley Lutheran (1-1) at Bagdad (2-0) – After stumbling out of the gate against Glendale Prep, Valley Lutheran rebounded with a 12-0 shutout of Division VI annual contender Heber Mogollon. Bagdad scored 66 points in its opener against traditional power Joseph City and followed that up with 61 against Ash Fork. The Sultans are looking like a possible title contender.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.