Centennial looks to maintain football momentum vs. Brophy
Originally published: Sep 11, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
We have a split football schedule this week, about half of the games will be played on Thursday night (Sept. 12) and the rest in their customary Friday spot (Sept. 13).
Here is a quick look at the top Thursday games . . .
Peoria Centennial (1-1) vs. Phoenix Brophy Prep (1-1) at Phoenix College – Division II Centennial rebounded nicely from a season-opening loss to Chandler with an impressive win over Chandler Basha. Brophy opened the season with a hard-fought win over Scottsdale Desert Mountain, but was defeated by Division I defending champion Chandler Hamilton last week. Will Brophy be the one to rebound this time, or will Centennial maintain its momentum?
Glendale Apollo (1-1) at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows (2-0) – Apollo suffered a surprising setback to Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain to open the season but then had a surprise last week, a victory over Division II defending champion Tucson Ironwood Ridge. Cactus Shadows is averaging more than 45 points per game after wins over Glendale Raymond S. Kellis and Surprise Willow Canyon.
Scottsdale Notre Dame Prep (1-1) at Peoria Liberty (1-2) – If Liberty is to have a chance in Division III, it must have another effort like it did in last week’s win over Glendale Mountain Ridge. Notre Dame defeated Laveen Betty H. Fairfax to open the season, then was overwhelmed by Scottsdale Desert Mountain last week.
Goodyear Millennium (1-1) at Phoenix Horizon (1-1) – Millennium scored a triple-overtime win over Phoenix North Canyon in its opener, then struggled against Phoenix Pinnacle. Horizon was outpaced by Tempe Marcos de Niza, but not by much, in its opener, then came back to defeat Tempe Corona del Sol. Dalton Sneed is a rising star at quarterback for Horizon.
Glendale Deer Valley (1-1) at Peoria Sunrise Mountain (1-1) – Both teams lost to Surprise Shadow Ridge. Deer Valley defeated Phoenix Barry Goldwater and Sunrise Mountain downed Glendale Ironwood.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.