How FB teams in EV, S. Az who changed divisions have fared
Originally published: Sep 10, 2013 - 12:00 am
Some schools that needed to drop a division (perhaps two) or schools that are fairly new and growing (moving up a notch) are seeing positive results in football after a couple weeks of competition. Here's a brief look at how 16 schools from the East Valley and southern Arizona have fared thus far:
MOVE FROM DIVISION I TO DIVISION II
WESTWOOD (2-0): The Warriors have already doubled their win total from last year. They've blanked both opponents -- D-II La Joya and D-I Maryvale. SUNNYSIDE (2-0): Blue Devils topped D-I Perry and D-II Ironwood. MESQUITE (1-1): The Wildcats beat D-I Gilbert in their opener and bowed to D-III Williams Field last week. BUENA (1-1): The Blue Devils outscored D-I Corona del Sol in a shootout opening night (61-46), then fell to top-tier D-I Chandler by 52 points. TUCSON HIGH (1-1): The Badgers dropped a tight one to D-II Sahuaro and followed up whacking D-II Nogales, as school that moved up tot D-II from D-III. CIBOLA (0-2): The Raiders lost a border game to Imperial High (Calif.) and followed up with a loss to D-I Skyline. KOFA (0-2): The Kings lost to Central High (El Centro, Calif.) and last week were shut out by D-III Alhambra. YUMA (0-2): The Criminals have not fared well with lopsided losses to D-III Higley and Imperial, Calif. SAN LUIS (0-2): The Sidewinders bowed to D-II Trevor Browne and then to D-V Antelope to extend their losing streak to 47 games.
MOVE FROM DIVISION II TO DIVISION I
PERRY (1-1): The Pumas have the numbers to be D-I and have been a D-II playoff qualifier, although their stays in postseason have been short. They've split games with D-II Sunnyside (loss) and D-I Sandra Day O'Connor thus far. Games upcoming with Mesa Mountain View, Basha, Chandler, Hamilton and Highland are going to test.
MOVE FROM DIVISION III TO DIVISION II
CAMPO VERDE (3-0): The Coyotes have dispatched three D-III foes (Goldwater, Catalina and Thunderbird) and play D-I teams (Gilbert and Highland) the next two weeks. First D-II game doesn't come until Oct. 4. POSTON BUTTE (2-1): The Broncos have played a mixed bag so far. They lost to D-III Queen Creek, topped D-II Gila Ridge and won the De La Torre Bowl by beating D-I Dobson. NOGALES (0-2): The Apaches got a shot at D-III Canyon del Oro but lost their opener. Last week in their first D-II matchup they were bested by former D-I Tucson High. Two tough games out of the gate for a D-III quarterfinalist from 2012.
MOVE FROM DIVISION III to DIVISION IV
**SANTA RITA (2-0): The Eagles may find D-IV to their liking. They've won games against D-II Rincon and D-III Pueblo. Ahead on their D-IV schedule are Amphi and Palo Verde. PALO VERDE (2-0: The Titans have won two close games -- a 10-points over D-III Empire and 2 points over D-III Catalina. AMPHITHEATER (1-1): D-IV is definitely where the Panthers belong. So far they have split games with D-III opponents -- a loss to Pueblo and win over Cholla.
** -- Dropped from D-II to D-IV for 2013 season.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.