Travis Schureman to take over as head coach at Queen Creek
Originally published: Sep 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
Joe Germaine saw it coming earlier this year and after last year's championship season at Queen Creek.
His day job, which pays the bulk of the bills, was getting busier and busier and requiring more of his time, especially in the travel department. That kept him from fulfilling the responsibiliity as Queen Creek's head footbal coach as completely as possible. Late Thursday Germaine met with the team to tell them he still will be there to assist, but that assistant Travis Schureman would be the official head coach moving forward.
"This wasn't something that was decided the last couple days," Germaine said. "My job since the end of lst season has required more of my time. So much I couldn't devote the effort needed to be head coach. Travis is here and has been doing a lot of the work. He's been here since before I got here, and I think it was right that he be the guy. He is the coach moving forward."
Germaine, an off-campus coach and has been since taking over, will continue to coach as time away from his primary job permits. He won't have a title, just assist when time allows. Queen Creek has a 36-5 record since Germaine took over and that counts the two wins this season.
"If I can be at practices or games, I will be," Germaine said. "Whenever it's possible, I will be there. But it hasn't been consistent so there was a need to pass the job to someone else."
Germaine, who took the reigns in 2010 and saw the Bulldogs gradually build to last year's Division III unbeaten state title team, told the present squad Thursday it's been "a blessing" to be thier head coach. But he added it wasn't fair to them or himself to be in the role of head coach with attention diverted as much as it has been this year.
"Travis has been taking the leadership role already and he deserves this opportunity", Germaine said. "(Athletic director) Paul Reynolds was and is aware of the situation. There wasn't a need to open it up for someone else."
Germaine has been in attendance at both of Queen Creek's games this season.-- road games Aug. 23 against Poston Butte and Aug. 30 against Highland. Queen Creek has a bye this week and takes on Show Low at home on Sept. 13.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.