Travis Schureman to take over as head coach at Queen Creek
Originally published: Sep 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
Joe Germaine saw it coming earlier this year and after last year's championship season at Queen Creek.
His day job, which pays the bulk of the bills, was getting busier and busier and requiring more of his time, especially in the travel department. That kept him from fulfilling the responsibiliity as Queen Creek's head footbal coach as completely as possible. Late Thursday Germaine met with the team to tell them he still will be there to assist, but that assistant Travis Schureman would be the official head coach moving forward.
"This wasn't something that was decided the last couple days," Germaine said. "My job since the end of lst season has required more of my time. So much I couldn't devote the effort needed to be head coach. Travis is here and has been doing a lot of the work. He's been here since before I got here, and I think it was right that he be the guy. He is the coach moving forward."
Germaine, an off-campus coach and has been since taking over, will continue to coach as time away from his primary job permits. He won't have a title, just assist when time allows. Queen Creek has a 36-5 record since Germaine took over and that counts the two wins this season.
"If I can be at practices or games, I will be," Germaine said. "Whenever it's possible, I will be there. But it hasn't been consistent so there was a need to pass the job to someone else."
Germaine, who took the reigns in 2010 and saw the Bulldogs gradually build to last year's Division III unbeaten state title team, told the present squad Thursday it's been "a blessing" to be thier head coach. But he added it wasn't fair to them or himself to be in the role of head coach with attention diverted as much as it has been this year.
"Travis has been taking the leadership role already and he deserves this opportunity", Germaine said. "(Athletic director) Paul Reynolds was and is aware of the situation. There wasn't a need to open it up for someone else."
Germaine has been in attendance at both of Queen Creek's games this season.-- road games Aug. 23 against Poston Butte and Aug. 30 against Highland. Queen Creek has a bye this week and takes on Show Low at home on Sept. 13.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.