Prescott volleyball relies on team chemistry, athleticism
Originally published: Sep 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
The girls’ volleyball team from Prescott High doesn’t appear to have a “go-to’’ player. Any of the Badgers appear to be capable of leading the team on a given night.
Devoid of divas is just the way coach Shellie Bowman likes it.
“Our chemistry just keeps getting better and better,’’ she said. “This is the best team effort we’ve had at Prescott in a long time. It’s a blessing we’ve been given.’’
Prescott followed up Tuesday’s (Sept. 3) season-opening sweep of host Cottonwood Mingus with another three-game sweep on Thursday night (Sept. 5), this time at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows.
The Badgers coasted to a 25-15 win in the first game. They were taken to the limit by Cactus Shadows in the second game before earning a 25-23 win. And they were in control from start to finish in the third game, securing the match with a 25-17 victory.
The front-line play of junior Sydney Koehler, sophomore Raphael Temple and junior Sierra Howard, combined with good service throughout the lineup, proved to be too big of an obstacle for Cactus Shadows.
“Great passing, too, and we got some blocks. We are very athletic,’’ Bowman said.
Before the season, Bowman said she was excited to see what this team is capable of, and nothing has occurred to change her mind.
After Flagstaff High had a remarkable unbeaten championship season in Division II in 2012, it moved down to Division III this year.
Many teams breathed a sigh of relief, but not necessarily Prescott.
“We still play them, in our home opener next week (Sept. 12),’’ Bowman said.
The Badgers will get a better idea of what things they need to work on.
Whatever that might be, they are going to have fun doing it – together.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.