Prescott volleyball relies on team chemistry, athleticism
Originally published: Sep 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
The girls’ volleyball team from Prescott High doesn’t appear to have a “go-to’’ player. Any of the Badgers appear to be capable of leading the team on a given night.
Devoid of divas is just the way coach Shellie Bowman likes it.
“Our chemistry just keeps getting better and better,’’ she said. “This is the best team effort we’ve had at Prescott in a long time. It’s a blessing we’ve been given.’’
Prescott followed up Tuesday’s (Sept. 3) season-opening sweep of host Cottonwood Mingus with another three-game sweep on Thursday night (Sept. 5), this time at Cave Creek Cactus Shadows.
The Badgers coasted to a 25-15 win in the first game. They were taken to the limit by Cactus Shadows in the second game before earning a 25-23 win. And they were in control from start to finish in the third game, securing the match with a 25-17 victory.
The front-line play of junior Sydney Koehler, sophomore Raphael Temple and junior Sierra Howard, combined with good service throughout the lineup, proved to be too big of an obstacle for Cactus Shadows.
“Great passing, too, and we got some blocks. We are very athletic,’’ Bowman said.
Before the season, Bowman said she was excited to see what this team is capable of, and nothing has occurred to change her mind.
After Flagstaff High had a remarkable unbeaten championship season in Division II in 2012, it moved down to Division III this year.
Many teams breathed a sigh of relief, but not necessarily Prescott.
“We still play them, in our home opener next week (Sept. 12),’’ Bowman said.
The Badgers will get a better idea of what things they need to work on.
Whatever that might be, they are going to have fun doing it – together.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.