Millennium looks for thrills, not spills, against Pinnacle
Originally published: Sep 5, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: This article includes home games in the writer’s area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
After a thrilling 37-34 triple-overtime victory over Phoenix North Canyon to open the season, what will Goodyear Millennium do for an encore?
We will find out on Friday night (Sept. 6), when the Tigers, new to Division I, headline Week 2 with a home game against Phoenix Pinnacle. The Pioneers defeated Mesa Red Mountain 21-16 in their opener.
Millennium first-year coach Jason Randels got a huge game from running back Adam Tamayo, who rushed for 127 yards and four touchdowns, including the 5-yard game-winner in the third OT.
The Tigers also got a big defensive effort from strong safety Aaron Diggs, who had seven total tackles, an interception and a pair of pass breakups.
Pinnacle used a late fumble recovery to preserve its victory.
Pinnacle running back Josh Hoekstra pounded the ball up and down the field, as usual. He rushed for 131 yards and a TD. Junior quarterback Brian Lewerke got off to a good start, completing 14 of 23 passes for 208 yards and two TDs.
Other games on the radar this week . . .
Scottsdale Notre Dame Prep (1-0) at Scottsdale Desert Mountain (0-1) – Desert Mountain, still smarting from its 13-6 loss to Phoenix Brophy Prep in last week’s opener, will pull out all the stops in its home debut.
Desert Mountain star quarterback Kyle Allen and receiver Mark Andrews played well, but will need more help from their teammates this time around.
Tucson Ironwood Ridge (2-0) at Glendale Apollo (0-1) – Apollo needs this one badly against the defending Division II champions after stumbling out of the gate against Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain. I-Ridge has beaten two pretty good teams already – Peoria Liberty and Vail Cienega.
Lakeside Blue Ridge (1-1) at Winslow (1-0) – Winslow routed Interstate 40 neighbor Holbrook 47-0 in the opener but it is difficult to tell how good the Bulldogs really are as they enter this Division IV clash. Blue Ridge is looking to rebound from a 30-14 to Division III Prescott.
Peoria (1-0) vs. Flagstaff (1-0) at Northern Arizona University Walkup Skydome – This will be a good test for Peoria, looking to re-establish its program under former quarterback Will Babb.
Payson (1-0) at Page (1-0) – The winner of this one will gain more momentum as the Division IV schedule heats up.
Goodyear Desert Edge (2-0) at Prescott (1-0) – Desert Edge appears to be on course for a deep playoff run in Division III. Prescott will need a big defensive effort, because Desert Edge is averaging about 50 points per game.
Lake Havasu (1-0) at Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain (1-0) – New Bradshaw Mountain coach Jared Woodruff has his Division III team fired up after dumping Division II Glendale Apollo last week. D-II Lake Havasu downed D-III Flagstaff Coconino.
Casa Grande (1-0) at Buckeye (1-0) – Buckeye defeated Vista Grande in its opener and now takes aim at the other Casa Grande school. Casa Grande edged El Mirage Dysart on Lucas Tipton’s 39-yard field goal in overtime.
Ganado (1-0) at Keams Canyon Hopi (2-0) – Hopi wants to prove it is more than just a cross-country school. It has combined for 70 points in its first two games. Ganado played strong defense in a 36-0 win over Many Farms.
Williams (1-0) at Round Valley (1-0) at Round Valley Dome, Eagar – Realignment broke up the powerful old Class 3A East Division a few years back. Most of those teams are in Division IV, but Round Valley is in Division V and would like nothing better to re-energize its football program.
Phoenix Trevor Browne (1-0) at Phoenix Sunnyslope (1-0) – Like most of its fellow Phoenix Union High School District schools, Trevor Browne has struggled in recent seasons. But a win such as the 58-0 triumph over San Luis last week can be encouraging for the D-II Bruins. D-II Sunnyslope breezed to a 48-6 win over Phoenix Washington.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.