Game Recap - Betty Fairfax vs. Notre Dame Prep
Originally published: Aug 31, 2013 - 12:00 am
At Scottsdale Community college on Friday, Saints quarterback Thomas Leham tossed three touchdown passes in less than 4 1/2 minutes to lead Notre Dame Prep to a 24-7 season-opening victory over Betty Fairfax in a clash between two Division II playoff teams in 2012.
Notre Dame's defense completed a goal line stand in the second quarter, and the Saints marched 99 yards to tie the game at 7-7 after Lehman hit Philip Caniglia from 12 yards out. After the ensuing kickoff, Notre Dame's Thomas Cole recovered a fumble on the first play from scrimmage to give the Saints the ball at the Fairfax 24. A few plays later, Lehman found Alex Manov from 11 yards out to give Notre Dame its first lead of the game with 3:15 remaining in the second quarter.
With the clock winding down in the first half, Notre Dame got the ball back and drove into Stampede territory. The Saints then missed a 53-yard field goal attempt, but Fairfax was called for roughing the kicker which extended the drive. Lehman cashed in by hitting Jordan Schlueter from four yards out with 24 seconds left on the clock, and the Saints led Fairfax 21-7 at the break.
Betty Fairfax got on the board first with 4:34 left in the first quarter, when Angelo Lopez blocked a Saints' punt and Fabian Gholston recovered it in the end zone for a 7-0 Stampede lead. Lopez also had an interception in the third quarter to stop a Notre Dame drive.
The only scoring in the second half came on a 40-yard field goal by the Saints' Grayson Naquin early in the fourth quarter. Fairfax never crossed into Saints' territory in the final two periods.
Notre Dame Prep starts the season at 1-0 and will hit the road next Friday to take on Desert Mountain. Betty Fairfax will be seeking its first win of the year on Friday at Camelback.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.