Saturday Football Follow: The first full night of action
Originally published: Aug 31, 2013 - 12:00 am
Note: Here are a few leftover notes from Friday night’s (Aug. 30) season-opening football games from my area of coverage, which is as follows: from Fountain Hills west through Scottsdale, all of Phoenix (except for Ahwatukee), the southwest, northwest and northern sections of the metro area. Other locales include northern, northeast and northwest Arizona.
Phoenix Brophy Prep, which defeated Scottsdale Desert Mountain 13-6, may not be on such shaky ground after all after losing many players to graduation. A number of younger players stepped up in this game.
*In regard to the team’s offense, senior quarterback Brian Woodward likely will not throw as much as predecessor Tyler Bruggman, but is a much more effective runner. And the Broncos appear to have an effective running combination of senior Will Edwards and sophomore Ryan Velez. Woodward had 106 yards on 11 carries and Velez had 51 yards on 11 carries.
The Broncos always seem to have an effective offensive line every year, and that should continue this season under the guidance of assistant coach Bill Lewis. If that name seems familiar, it is because Lewis was the starting center for the NFL’s Cardinals during their early years in town.
*I doubt that many coaches in the state are more intense than Brophy defensive coordinator Gary Galante, one of the architects of the victory.
*Desert Mountain senior star receiver Mark Andrews caught eight passes for 104 yards, but he likely will have two or three defenders following him every game this year. That is why it is essential for the Wolves to come with a few alternative targets for senior quarterback Kyle Allen.
One of those targets will be senior Jordan Higgins, who did a good job against Brophy.
*The Wolves need to buckle their chinstraps, or so it seems. On three or four occasions, players had to sit out one play after their helmets came off, as required by rule.
That included back-to-back plays, first with running back Dan Fedorka and then Andrews. Allen had his come off earlier in the game, and Andrews ran the team for one play, taking the snap out of a Wildcat formation.
*Given Scottsdale Chaparral’s 52-27 opening win over rival Scottsdale Saguaro, it is going to be very difficult for teams to defeat the Firebirds. Is a Division II title in the cards?
*If you are looking for an early sleeper team, check out Glendale Mountain Ridge. The Mountain Lions took care of Laveen Cesar Chavez 30-13. I watched the “Big Man’’ weight competition at the Arizona Football Coaches Association passing tournament this summer in Surprise and the Mountain Ridge big dudes took care of business. They can block, too.
*Phoenix Horizon should be optimistic despite a 56-53 shootout loss to a talented Tempe Marcos de Niza bunch. New coach Kris Heavner will have the Huskies in the thick of things.
*Everyone talks about Show Low and Lakeside Blue Ridge in the White Mountains, but don’t overlook Snowflake, which put a 36-21 whipping on Cottonwood Mingus at Mingus.
*Glendale Joy Christian made a smooth transition from being the champion in eight-man Division VI to 11-man Division V with a 50-0 win over Scottsdale Prep. The Eagles have played some 11-man games in the past and were quite competitive.
*With an 81-22 win over Phoenix Scottsdale Christian, Phoenix Arizona Lutheran jumped on the radar as a possible contender in Division V.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.