More out-of-state foes for East Valley football teams
Originally published: Aug 26, 2013 - 12:00 am
Four more of the state's top Division I football programs try to emulate the success of Mountain Pointe and Salpointe this Friday and Saturday as they travel to California and Nevada to begin their 2013 campaigns.
Basha visits Nevada on Friday (Aug. 30) to face Green Valley, Henderson, Nev., at 7 p.m. Green Valley posted a 9-2 record last season and is among the top 5 in Nevada schools in preseason polls. Defending D-I champ Hamilton, D-I semifinalists Desert Ridge and Desert Vista are in California for games Saturday (Aug. 31) as part of the Brothers in Arms series at Cathedral High in San Diego. All three games are to be played at Cathedral High.
Desert Vista opens the set of three consecutive games involving Arizona teams with an 11 a.m. kickoff vs. Mission Hills High, San Marcos, Calif. Mission Hills was 10-3 last year and lost in the CIF semifinals to Eastlake. Hamilton follows Desert Vista with a 1:30 p.m. contest vs. that same Eastlake High, Chula Vista, Calif. Desert Ridge will be the last of the locals to play that day, kicking off a 4 p.m. vs. nationally ranked Junipero Serra High, Gardena Calif. Serra was 14-2 in 2012,winning the CIFDivision II championship over Oakdale High, Oakdale, Calif.
Mountain Pointe began the state's big-school out-of-state play last Friday with a 28-21 win over then nationally ranked Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas, Nev. Salpointe Catholic followed up the next day blasting Liberty High, Henderson, Nev., 48-7. Mountain Pointe moved into MaxPreps Xcellent 25 national rankings at No. 25 with its win over Bishop Gorman.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.