Queen Creek, Ironwood Ridge begin title defenses
Originally published: Aug 23, 2013 - 12:00 am
Queen Creek brings a 14-game winning streak (a perfect and championship season) to its 2013 opener Friday night (Aug. 23) with a road game at Poston Butte one of a smattering of games before next week's massive list of season openers.
Queen Creek, the defending Division III champs piloted by Joe Germaine, sport spectacular running back Matt Guida and a retooled offensive line to the contest. Poston Butte, a member of D-III last season has moved up a step to D-II this season under coach Mike De La Torre. The teams met last year with Queen Creek prevailing, 36-3. Guida rushed for 163 yards and two touchdowns in that game.
In Tucson, D-II defending champ Ironwood Ridge graduated an outstanding senior class, but looks to build for more success taking on Liberty High from the West Valley. Ironwood Ridge coach Matt Johnson lost 21 of 22 starting spots to graduation so will introduce a bunch of unfamiliar names. Liberty has been a viable D-III contender under Dan Filleman the past four seasons. Liberty bowed out in the quarterfinals twice and the first round wice in those four visits to state. The Lions are moving up D-II this season.
Also opening the season from the East Valley and southern Arizona on Friday night (Aug. 23) are Campo Verde and Sahuarita, respectively. Campo Verde, like Poston Butte rises a division from D-III to D-II and visits Goldwater.Goldwater has dropped from D-II to D-III. Sahuarita vists the White Mountains to tangle with last year's D-IV runner-up, Blue Ridge. Sahuarita moved down from D-III to D-IV for the next two-year scheduling block.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.