Mtn. Pointe puts in final workout for Bishop Gorman
Originally published: Aug 22, 2013 - 12:00 am
A couple of breaks have gone Mountain Pointe's way the past two days with unexpectedly comfortable practice conditions in Las Vegas at Faith Lutheran High School.
Wednesday night's practice was executed on a breezy, cool evening, not overly humid or a scorcher. Then Thursday afternoon a 1:30 to 3 workout got more wind -- just enough -- plus cloud cover almost the entire 90 minutes. The temperature was in the low 90s.
Mountain Pointe coach Norris Vaughan proclaimed his team as ready as possible for the opener, but as he's said before the contest with nationally-ranked Biship Gorman on Friday at 7 p.m. is not do or die.
"It's not the Super Bowl, it's the first game of the year," Vaughan said. "We'll stay the course and keep working....
"It's a long season. We have guys starting (Friday) who may not be starting later on. Guys not playing now who end up playing later. It's early."
Joining Thursday's workout after doing only light jogging on Wednesday was wide out-safety Jalen Brown. Brown took a little extra time stretching while practive began, but worked his way in on both sides of the ball."
"I felt good," Brown said. "Just beiing cautious the last couple of days."
Mountain Pointe will eat an earlier breakfast on Friday and spend the rest of they day relaxing -- study hall, perhap a movie and some time as Vaughan put it "in meditation."
NOTE: The team wrapped up workouts with a water-balloon toss with several players teaming up to win by being able to throw and catch from increased distances without the balloon breaking. Taking home the victory were quarterbacks Antonio Hinojosa and Garvin Alston. The Pride have used eggs in the past for the contest, but deferred to balloons since they were playing on Faith Lutheran's fine synthetic turf.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.