Mtn. Pointe puts in final workout for Bishop Gorman
Originally published: Aug 22, 2013 - 12:00 am
A couple of breaks have gone Mountain Pointe's way the past two days with unexpectedly comfortable practice conditions in Las Vegas at Faith Lutheran High School.
Wednesday night's practice was executed on a breezy, cool evening, not overly humid or a scorcher. Then Thursday afternoon a 1:30 to 3 workout got more wind -- just enough -- plus cloud cover almost the entire 90 minutes. The temperature was in the low 90s.
Mountain Pointe coach Norris Vaughan proclaimed his team as ready as possible for the opener, but as he's said before the contest with nationally-ranked Biship Gorman on Friday at 7 p.m. is not do or die.
"It's not the Super Bowl, it's the first game of the year," Vaughan said. "We'll stay the course and keep working....
"It's a long season. We have guys starting (Friday) who may not be starting later on. Guys not playing now who end up playing later. It's early."
Joining Thursday's workout after doing only light jogging on Wednesday was wide out-safety Jalen Brown. Brown took a little extra time stretching while practive began, but worked his way in on both sides of the ball."
"I felt good," Brown said. "Just beiing cautious the last couple of days."
Mountain Pointe will eat an earlier breakfast on Friday and spend the rest of they day relaxing -- study hall, perhap a movie and some time as Vaughan put it "in meditation."
NOTE: The team wrapped up workouts with a water-balloon toss with several players teaming up to win by being able to throw and catch from increased distances without the balloon breaking. Taking home the victory were quarterbacks Antonio Hinojosa and Garvin Alston. The Pride have used eggs in the past for the contest, but deferred to balloons since they were playing on Faith Lutheran's fine synthetic turf.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.