Mtn. Pointe puts in final workout for Bishop Gorman
Originally published: Aug 22, 2013 - 12:00 am
A couple of breaks have gone Mountain Pointe's way the past two days with unexpectedly comfortable practice conditions in Las Vegas at Faith Lutheran High School.
Wednesday night's practice was executed on a breezy, cool evening, not overly humid or a scorcher. Then Thursday afternoon a 1:30 to 3 workout got more wind -- just enough -- plus cloud cover almost the entire 90 minutes. The temperature was in the low 90s.
Mountain Pointe coach Norris Vaughan proclaimed his team as ready as possible for the opener, but as he's said before the contest with nationally-ranked Biship Gorman on Friday at 7 p.m. is not do or die.
"It's not the Super Bowl, it's the first game of the year," Vaughan said. "We'll stay the course and keep working....
"It's a long season. We have guys starting (Friday) who may not be starting later on. Guys not playing now who end up playing later. It's early."
Joining Thursday's workout after doing only light jogging on Wednesday was wide out-safety Jalen Brown. Brown took a little extra time stretching while practive began, but worked his way in on both sides of the ball."
"I felt good," Brown said. "Just beiing cautious the last couple of days."
Mountain Pointe will eat an earlier breakfast on Friday and spend the rest of they day relaxing -- study hall, perhap a movie and some time as Vaughan put it "in meditation."
NOTE: The team wrapped up workouts with a water-balloon toss with several players teaming up to win by being able to throw and catch from increased distances without the balloon breaking. Taking home the victory were quarterbacks Antonio Hinojosa and Garvin Alston. The Pride have used eggs in the past for the contest, but deferred to balloons since they were playing on Faith Lutheran's fine synthetic turf.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.