Basha hires volleyball coach to replace Illinois-bound Kann
Originally published: Aug 14, 2013 - 12:00 am
Basha High has filled a rather abrupt opening in its girls volleyball program hiring, Terri Spann to replace Illinois-bound coach Jim Kann, Basha athletic director Brent Rincon announced Wednesday.
"Jim recently got his adminstrator's certificate and an opening came up a week or so ago in his home state of Illinois," Rincon said. "He got an interview and two days later was told he got the job as athletic director. It was an opportunity he couldn't pass up, going back to Illinois about 20 miles from where he grew up."
In the interim, Basha has brought in Terri Spann, a former standout at ASU and all-Pac-10 player,as the Lady Bears new coach. Spann has college coaching experience as assistant at ASU and Texas Tech and won a volleyball title at Xavier.
"We want to thank Jim for his efforts in building Basha's girls volleyball program into a perennial state playoff team and a consistent top 10 program in the state," Rincon said via email. "Jim developed many players who went on to play collegiately and we wish him the best in his new position in his home state of Illinois. His love of volleyball and the girls who played the sport at Basha created a great legacy and great memories for the team and school."
Kann coached eight seasons at Basha (2005-2012) after guiding Mesquite High for two years (2003-2004). Basha qualified for state seven of his eight seasons and reached the quarterfinals four times. Kann compiled a 185-120 record in his eight-year tenure.
Rincon went on to say the school is excited to have Spann join the program as its the head coach.
"She brings an incredible amount of experience as a player in the Pac-10 as well as her extensive experience as a coach attwo 2 different Divsion I universities as well as her success in winning a high school championship at Xavier. She also has unprecedented success...... It will be exciting to watch the program continue to grow and prosper under the guidance of coach Spann.
- Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro - Saturday December 7Blue Ridge Head Coach Paul Moro joins the show to discuss winning the Division IV title last week.
- Mountain Pointe Head Coach Norris Vaughan - Saturday December 7Mountain Pointe Head Football Coach Norris Vaughan joins the show to discuss winning the Division I
- Cameron Denson Interview - Saturday November 30Salpointe Catholic player Cameron Denson talks about winning the state title and what's next for hi
- Coach Dave Inness Interview - Saturday November 30AIA Color Analyst and Northwest Christian Head Coach Dave Inness previews tonight's championships.
- December 7, 2013 - Hour: 1In this hour we talk to the Division I and Division IV State Title winners.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 30, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.
- November 23, 2013 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 bringing you the latest in high school sports from around the state.