Basha hires volleyball coach to replace Illinois-bound Kann
Originally published: Aug 14, 2013 - 12:00 am
Basha High has filled a rather abrupt opening in its girls volleyball program hiring, Terri Spann to replace Illinois-bound coach Jim Kann, Basha athletic director Brent Rincon announced Wednesday.
"Jim recently got his adminstrator's certificate and an opening came up a week or so ago in his home state of Illinois," Rincon said. "He got an interview and two days later was told he got the job as athletic director. It was an opportunity he couldn't pass up, going back to Illinois about 20 miles from where he grew up."
In the interim, Basha has brought in Terri Spann, a former standout at ASU and all-Pac-10 player,as the Lady Bears new coach. Spann has college coaching experience as assistant at ASU and Texas Tech and won a volleyball title at Xavier.
"We want to thank Jim for his efforts in building Basha's girls volleyball program into a perennial state playoff team and a consistent top 10 program in the state," Rincon said via email. "Jim developed many players who went on to play collegiately and we wish him the best in his new position in his home state of Illinois. His love of volleyball and the girls who played the sport at Basha created a great legacy and great memories for the team and school."
Kann coached eight seasons at Basha (2005-2012) after guiding Mesquite High for two years (2003-2004). Basha qualified for state seven of his eight seasons and reached the quarterfinals four times. Kann compiled a 185-120 record in his eight-year tenure.
Rincon went on to say the school is excited to have Spann join the program as its the head coach.
"She brings an incredible amount of experience as a player in the Pac-10 as well as her extensive experience as a coach attwo 2 different Divsion I universities as well as her success in winning a high school championship at Xavier. She also has unprecedented success...... It will be exciting to watch the program continue to grow and prosper under the guidance of coach Spann.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.