Hoops community loses one of its greats, Billy Rhymes
Originally published: Aug 7, 2013 - 12:00 am
When you cover as much high school basketball as I have over the years, a lot of names run through your head.
Some of them stick, some of them don’t. Some simply are unforgettable.
One of those people who fit in the latter category was Billy Rhymes.
Billy Rhymes could fill it up, as they say. He was one of the best shooters this state has ever seen. I would like to have seen him in a three-point contest.
He helped lead Phoenix Union to a Class 5A state runner-up finish in his senior year, 1982, shortly before the school closed. The Coyotes were coached that year by Billy’s brother, Argie, who went on to Phoenix Carl Hayden after Phoenix Union closed and has been there ever since.
Billy, a guard, could shoot from long range, short range and everywhere in between.
He went on to play at Washington State before returning to the Phoenix area to get married and raise five children, most of them involved in basketball, part of the Rhymes basketball family that stretches across the Valley to this day.
At Phoenix Union, he was part of a group of players who were key components of the Phoenix Union High School District’s heyday.
In addition to Billy, the Coyotes during those years had Randy and Stevie Colter, Keith Jones, Cecil Scroggins, Carl Marshall and the late Rodney Johns. It truly was an amazing time.
Billy’s daughter, Hailee, played for Phoenix St. Mary’s a few years ago before going on to play collegiately at Texas-Arlington.
One night, after a St. Mary’s game, Billy came up to me to say hello. It’s moments like that, when an athlete you used to cover acknowledges you, that make this media business worthwhile.
So it was with great sadness that I learned on Wednesday (Aug. 7) of Billy’s death on Aug. 1 at the age of 48. A life celebration will be held Thursday (Aug. 8) at 11 a.m. at the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church at 1401 E. Jefferson St. in Phoenix.
Thoughts are with Billy’s immediate family, Argie and the rest of the family.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.