Peoria District serves up badminton on its newest menu
Originally published: Aug 2, 2013 - 12:00 am
The Peoria Unified School District has grown over the years to its current list of seven high schools, and with each addition has come an increase in the quantity and quality of athletes, particularly among the girls.
The 2013-14 school year offers another opportunity for the ladies to excel.
The district is adding the sport of badminton, creating a niche for girls who might not fit in with volleyball or cross country.
“It has been in the discussion, been in the works for quite awhile, and now is the right timing for its implementation,’’ said Peoria District athletic director Mike Sivertson. “It was the next logical fit for our district. We are excited to have badminton for the first time.
“We had various meetings and had a lot of good input from students who were interested. It was received very well.’’
The new Division I, Section VII for badminton is made up of Peoria District schools Glendale Cactus, Peoria Centennial, Glendale Ironwood, Peoria Liberty, Peoria, Glendale Raymond S. Kellis and Peoria Sunrise Mountain.
Preseason practice will begin with most of the other non-football sports, with the first matches set for later in August. Teams will play 16 matches during the regular season. Two of those can be invitational tournaments, Sivertson said.
“We hope to develop some good rivalries within our district and in the neighboring areas,’’ Sivertson said.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.