Marlins' new hitting coach is Washington Ram-tough
Originally published: Jul 29, 2013 - 12:00 am
At long last, John Pierson has his first job in the major leagues, although he probably would rather it be under different circumstances. Still, he will take it.
After Miami Marlins hitting coach Tino Martinez resigned over allegations of player abuse, the Marlins named Pierson as an interim replacement.
Pierson, 59, is a graduate of Washington High in Phoenix and played second base for coach Herb Boetto at Glendale Community College before going on to play as an infielder in the Kansas City Royals’ system. He also was on the coaching staffs at Arizona State and Grand Canyon University.
He has been a talent evaluator and minor-league infield defense instructor for several major-league organizations, including the Marlins for the last 10 seasons.
I covered that GCC team then for the student newspaper and remember Pierson as a nose-to-the-grindstone type of guy who always gave the utmost effort. So it is not surprising that he has lasted this long in baseball.
Here’s hoping that Pierson can help the Marlins improve so that the interim tag eventually can be removed, or that he can land a similar position with another big-league club. If anyone deserves a chance, he does.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.